[Kwintv] Small kwintv3 patch

Michael Kedl kwintv@mail.kde.org
15 Oct 2002 16:22:10 -0400

It's been a while, but I used to write TV code....

We have cable channels 1-125 here (what the US standard supports).
And now, digital channels are usually assigned numbers higher, this is
no longer actual frequency mapping like the first 125 obviously, just
simpler for people to understand.

So I would suggest we allow channels higher than 99 in general. (maybe
someday we can incorporate the digital stuff into kwintv)

I believe my tuning algorithms work(ed) something like:
a) get keypress 1
b) if 2s have passed, tune the channel and exit
c) if we get keypress 2,
	1) shift over keypress 1
	2) see if channel (say 10 or 20 as examples) times 10 is higher  than
highest channel (say 125)
	3) if it is, (20), then tune it now and exit
	4) if it isn't (10), then continue
	5) if 2s have passed since key 2, tune the channel and exit
	6) if we get keypress 3
		aa) shift everything again, tune channel and exit

AA) obviously this would be extended if we ever had more than 1000
channels
BB) 2s timeout was good for most people
CC) leading zeros avoid the timeout (0, 0, 6 for instance)
DD) I use channel 000 for S-Video / Comp; if you actually have both then
you have to channel up/down thru them (I usually set 000 to svideo) [ I
HATE having to go thru menus to switch from tuner to svideo and back! ]
EE) in the channel ring, it goes something like
3,2,1,svideo,comp,125,124,... when you are channeling down (or up)
FF) in some cases I have used an "enter" key to kill the timeout (so 6
<enter> tunes channel six without waiting 2s)
GG) I also HATE the 100's key on some systems; no system I have ever
written had it ;-)

I am actually thinking about adding this kind of functionality to
qtvision.

What do you think?
Mike