[Kwintv] Small kwintv3 patch

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:57:07 -0400

On October 15, 2002 16:22, Michael Kedl wrote:
> It's been a while, but I used to write TV code....
>
> We have cable channels 1-125 here (what the US standard supports).
> And now, digital channels are usually assigned numbers higher, this is
> no longer actual frequency mapping like the first 125 obviously, just
> simpler for people to understand.
>
> So I would suggest we allow channels higher than 99 in general. (maybe
> someday we can incorporate the digital stuff into kwintv)
>
> I believe my tuning algorithms work(ed) something like:
> a) get keypress 1
> b) if 2s have passed, tune the channel and exit
> c) if we get keypress 2,
> 	1) shift over keypress 1
> 	2) see if channel (say 10 or 20 as examples) times 10 is higher  than
> highest channel (say 125)
> 	3) if it is, (20), then tune it now and exit
> 	4) if it isn't (10), then continue
> 	5) if 2s have passed since key 2, tune the channel and exit
> 	6) if we get keypress 3
> 		aa) shift everything again, tune channel and exit

   That sounds fine I think.

> AA) obviously this would be extended if we ever had more than 1000
> channels

   Yes but I doubt that will ever happen during the lifetime of this software

> BB) 2s timeout was good for most people

   Yes

> CC) leading zeros avoid the timeout (0, 0, 6 for instance)

   Sounds good too.

> DD) I use channel 000 for S-Video / Comp; if you actually have both then
> you have to channel up/down thru them (I usually set 000 to svideo) [ I
> HATE having to go thru menus to switch from tuner to svideo and back! ]

   Hmm.  That requires a source change.  I think it will be far easier to
leave as it is currently with it requiring a source change.  Otherwise, how
can we a) disable certain features if we want, and b) get this to work with
Xv which uses text strings here?

> EE) in the channel ring, it goes something like
> 3,2,1,svideo,comp,125,124,... when you are channeling down (or up)

   I don't think this can be cleanly implemented.

> FF) in some cases I have used an "enter" key to kill the timeout (so 6
> <enter> tunes channel six without waiting 2s)

  That sounds reasonable too.

> GG) I also HATE the 100's key on some systems; no system I have ever
> written had it ;-)

   Yes I hate those too.

> I am actually thinking about adding this kind of functionality to
> qtvision.
>
> What do you think?

  If you agree with my minor disagreement, then I agree. :-)