[Kwintv] Small kwintv3 patch

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:41:27 -0400

On Tuesday October 15 2002 11:14, Rizsanyi Zsolt wrote:
> Real TVs do not have more than 100 channels :)

   I would suspect that not to be the case anymore.

> And different TVs work differently. I know two different TVs enough to
> describe them:
> One can have max 29 channels and has buttons 0-9 and '1-' and '2-' (if you
> want ch 5 then press 5, if you want ch 17 then press '1-' and 7)

  I don't like that at all.  I think we should avoid that entirely.

> The other can have maybe max 100 channels. It only has buttons 0-9 and a
> button to switch configuration of entering channels a '-/--' button.
> When the configuration is '-' then when you press a number the channel is
> set directly to that channel. In this mode you could not set a channel > 9.
> When the configuration is '--'. Then you always have to enter two digits to
> select a channel. Thats the way you have described how the TV works.

   I don't like that either really.

> But at that place always the '-' mode is used :) So it seems you are
> proposing an inferior method :)

  But having "modes" is far too complicated imho.

> Oh and I remember a TV which worked like always changing directly to the
> channel. So when you want to change to channel 17 you press 1 and change to
> ch 1 and then press 7 and you change to channel 17
> Of course this could be annoying to some...

  That would be very annoying.

> What I'm trying to say is that we should not follow closely how a TV works.
> We should do better :)

   I'm not against that, but we shouldn't make it so different that people
have to learn how it works.

> At least there should be modes of operation. One to work like your tv does,
> one to work like my :) And one to work how is it easy for me to use :), and
> as it is easy for you :)
> I'm ok to left the default to work as your TV ;)))

   Too complicated.  We need to find one simple, intuitive method.  There's
already soo much configuration.