[Kwintv] The importance of good video hardware and drivers

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 02:53:40 -0500

On November 5, 2002 02:05, Stefan Hellwig wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tuesday 05 November 2002 03:53, George Staikos wrote:
> >     2) Not all drivers can do v4l-bridge scaling.  My Matrox card does
> > it, my NVidia card, at the moment, does not.  If it doesn't, please look
> > into XF86 or your driver/card, not QtVision.
>
> Did you install the NVidia (closed source) drivers yet? They work great for
> me (just a "GeForce 2MX"). OK, except for the "ripping" of lines (for me
> this is in v4l mode only, not Xv) but I think I would rather live with that
> than reducing my color depth :-).

  Yes this is the closed source driver that I'm using right now.  So far it
seems to work well, though I noticed some unusual system slow downs when
doing heavy compiles and graphics work simultaneously.

   I don't see any video problems with the v4l driver though.