[Kwintv] The importance of good video hardware and drivers

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 21:53:20 -0500

    I just purchased a GeForce 4 Ti today.  I must say that I now understand
the kinds of problems that have been reported.

   1) "I see flicker or 'ripping' in Xv mode."
        - Try a lower colour depth/bpp setting in X.
        - Get a better video card.

        I have seen this effect when going from 16bpp to 24bpp with my Matrox
G550 board.  It looked nice at 16bpp but at 24bpp, the video had flickering
lines through it.

    2) Not all drivers can do v4l-bridge scaling.  My Matrox card does it, my
NVidia card, at the moment, does not.  If it doesn't, please look into XF86
or your driver/card, not QtVision.