Custom shell surface protocol for Plasma surfaces

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Mar 5 19:56:27 GMT 2020

Am 2020-03-05 16:46, schrieb David Edmundson:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 3:12 PM Vlad Zahorodnii
> <vlad.zahorodnii at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/5/20 4:51 PM, David Edmundson wrote:
>> > What I would question is if we're going to make a change, whether we
>> > should go directly to layer-shell.
>>
>> I would say "yes," but on the other hand I don't have a list of all
>> features required to make plasmashell work on Wayland. Perhaps we need
>> to compile such a list first, then based on it decide whether
>> layer-shell suits our needs.
>
> Sure, that's a sensible approach.
> IIRC we did many years ago at a sprint.

That was mostly driven by Pier, who honestly had not much knowledge
about Plasma. It never really covered what Plasma did and we also
extended it a lot since then. Which is really important in such an
evaluation: be prepared that things change. A protocol need to support
also future ideas.

> It depends how much semantic information we're happy bundling into the
> "namespace" argument, which is a freetext string for what kwin would
> refer to as a role.
>
> i.e set_skip_switcher could be something a client sets, or kwin could
> know that anything of the namespace "notification_popup" should skip
> the switcher.

Due to experience with X I do not want something like set_skip_switcher
anymore. I rather prefer having things semantically defined.

Cheers
Martin