Custom shell surface protocol for Plasma surfaces

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 15:46:38 GMT 2020

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 3:12 PM Vlad Zahorodnii <vlad.zahorodnii at kde.org> wrote:

> On 3/5/20 4:51 PM, David Edmundson wrote:
> > What I would question is if we're going to make a change, whether we
> > should go directly to layer-shell.
>
> I would say "yes," but on the other hand I don't have a list of all
> features required to make plasmashell work on Wayland. Perhaps we need
> to compile such a list first, then based on it decide whether
> layer-shell suits our needs.

Sure, that's a sensible approach.
IIRC we did many years ago at a sprint.

It depends how much semantic information we're happy bundling into the
"namespace" argument, which is a freetext string for what kwin would
refer to as a role.

i.e set_skip_switcher could be something a client sets, or kwin could
know that anything of the namespace "notification_popup" should skip
the switcher.

We would probably need a separate protocol for the panel autohide.