[Kstars-devel] Extending Hendry Draper numbers in Kstars

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 09:31:32 UTC 2015

On Jun 23, 2015 08:54, "M.S. Adityan" <msadityan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another way to tackle this issue would be to use the HD numbers listed in
clines.dat. Since KStars draws constellation boundary lines using these HD
numbers only, I will not run into a problem. But again, it would be a
lengthy process of figuring out the coordinates of the stars in the
corresponding image.

Hi,

I agree, matching coordinates of constellation boundaries between kstars
and stellarium would be a hard task. The boundaries in the two programs may
be stored at a different level of detail, there may be no deterministic
algorithms for this matching.

Why do you need to add anchor stars into kstars? In order to calculate the
transom transform parameters, three points should be enough, and these
points don't need to be actual stars.

For each of these three points you need to know their 2D coordinates in the
image and their coordinates on the sphere (ascension and declination.)
That's all — after you have 3 points per constellation, math comes into
play.

You can take whatever anchor points you like, for example 3 of the 4
corners of a constellation image. I believe you can even discover some
anchor points coded in the stellarium sources or data files.

Happy hacking!