[Kstars-devel] Extending Hendry Draper numbers in Kstars

M.S. Adityan msadityan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 10:25:15 UTC 2015

Hi Alexander,

How would choosing arbitrary points on the image help? The idea is to
display the constellation image exactly as it is described in ancient maps
and atlases of the sky. This means suppose the head of Leo falls on Star X,
then that is how it should appear in KStars. This means the Star X acts as
an anchor for the head of Leo. Hence I cannot choose arbitrary anchor
points, but that anchor points should be real stars.

Yes, now I am trying to do this with RA/DEC coordinates of stars in the
J2000 system. I am also considering just using 2 points to simplify the
math, because I can always preserve the aspect ratio of the image, and
hence I would only require 2 anchor points in total to scale/rotate the
image. I am doing this for 1 constellation right now. Till then hopefully
we should figure out what requires to be done with those HD numbers which
are unknown to KStars. Either the HD number list in KStars is extended, or
I make a new list of anchor stars ALL of which are known to KStars. That
would be quite a lot of work, but will have to be done.

Thanks!

M.S.Adityan
Website: www.msadityan.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/msadityan