[Kstars-devel] GSoC 2016 ideas?

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Thu Dec 10 06:12:44 UTC 2015

Hello folks,

So it's about time we start discussing ideas for KStars in Google Summer of
Code 2016. Last year, we had two projects:

1. Constellation Art
2. Ekos Scheduler

I'm glad that both projects are in master now, but not without problems.
The constellation art is marked as "beta" because the rotation and scaling
issues are NOT yet fixed, and I am too busy as it is to even ponder a fix,
so I might make fixing it as a "junior job". I completely re-wrote Ekos
scheduler since I wanted to support more complex automation, BUT the basic
ideas and skeleton in GSoC 2015 was very helpful in shaping the scheduler,
so no wasted effort here either.

For 2016, I have the following ideas:

1. KStars Tablet/Mobile version: Make a QML/QtQuick2 frontend for KStars
with basic functions:
  1.1 Sky map: Pan, zoom...etc
  1.3 Color schemes
  1.4 Simulation time
  1.5 Projection Systems?
  1.6 FOV Symbols
  1.7 Location/Time from mobile/phone or by user
  1.8 ??

2. KStars on Windows/OSX: Still needs to research it, but we should aspire
to support as many platforms as possible.

3. Qt3D backend: Develop a Qt3D backend in addition to the QtPainter
backend. We already have OpenGL backend but it is disabled now, so it might
serve as a starting point.

4. 3D Mount Modeler: Use Qt3D to model a telescope mount. Include wizard
for user equipment such as OTA type, CCDs, filters, spacers, draw tubes,
adaptive optics, mount, pier/tripod

5. Improve KStars
 5.1 Improve star catalog import procedure (text --> binary format)
 5.2 Support complete (or as much as possible) Henry Draper catalog.
 5.3 Simulate day/night transitions
 5.4 Light pollution filter (Maybe using Bortle scale?).
 5.5 Migrate What's Interesting Tonight to latest QML/QtQuick

These are just rough ideas and I welcome any new ideas and discussion!

Regards,
Jasem

--
Best Regards,