[Kstars-devel] GSoC 2011 project

Akarsh Simha asimha at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 24 17:52:42 UTC 2012

Quoting Bruce <lists at faintfuzzies.ca>:

> So I've had lost of chances to use the template for observing this summer and
> fall.  I've got one thing I'd like changed and one thing added.  I would like
> see the border made in to full (thinkish) lines as the thinner double lines
> are hard to see in the dark.  I would like to see the option to import the
> observation list.  I assume that lots of people like me use the observation
> list as a method to decide what to observe any given night.  Having this
> option would prevent me from have to re-enter each object a second time to
> print out the template.
>
> Thanks for this, it has been a very useful tool for my.  I not keep a binder
> with me that goes out on every observing session.

Hi Bruce

Yes, I agree. The observing list export is my major "want to see"
feature in the printing section of KStars. I did give it a thought
some day. Given how complicated our code is getting, I almost think
the right way to handle this is using a DBus-based script. I almost
think that many of these features should start having script
implementations.

However, our scripting interface seems broken and very little testing
has gone into it. I need to try and get it to work and see if there's
a way to script this.

I wonder if Rafal has any thoughts / ideas on this.

It might be worth thinking of scripts as projects for Google Code-In
2012. Unfortunately, I expect to have very little time till (American)
Thanksgiving, after which I should be able to do some GCI 2012
mentoring as well. Let's see how it goes.