[Kstars-devel] ClearDarkSky charts and observatory locations

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 03:12:26 CEST 2011

Hi

I just had a mail exchange with ClearDarkSky.com creator Attilla
Danko.

He said that as long as our software was free, it would be okay for us
to use his compilation of observatory locations and Clear Sky Charts
in our application.

So I'm interested in:

* Supporting their list of private / public observatories in KStars. I
  think this is great for anyone living in the US / Canada at least,
  because you could then just say "Prude Ranch" (location of Texas
  Star Party) or "Eagle Eye Observatory" (location of my astronomy
  club's observatory) or whatever and use the lat-lon of that place.

* Possibly having the option of viewing Clear Sky Charts from a dialog
  in KStars.

* Plot nearby observatories, astronomy clubs and astronomy
  establishments (eg: planetariums, and space centers -- since
  astronomy and space-science are fields that interact quite a bit) on
  a map. I think this list will be a good starting point.