[Kstars-devel] Re: Getting Started

Laudis Radium laudis.radium at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 21:59:08 CEST 2011

Hi Alexey,
Thanks a lot for your help.
I have mentioned inline what I did.

Regards,
Laurad

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Alexey Khudyakov <alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 01.04.2011 23:15, Laudis Radium wrote:
>
>> Hi Alexey,
>> I downloaded all the packages you mentioned. But I haven't yet figured
>> out how to view the source code. I will be thankful if you can guide me
>> or provide links for this.
>>

> Hi!
>
> Generally it's recommended to create separate user to develop KDE. It's
> needed to avoid possible corruption of your configuration and to be able to
> delete said profile without losing anything of value. You said that you
> going to use linux only to develop kstars so it's non-issue. Just to let you
> know.
>
> First of all you need to get sources. Kstars switched to git yesterday and
> it IMHO will make some thing easier in some respect. Links below contain
> some information on git in general and kde-specific things.
>
> To configure git you can use config below. Important parts are [user] and
> [url...]. After that sources could be fetched by following command:
>
> # 1. Create directory
> $ git clone kde:kstars ~/kstars

This step dint work. So I did
$ git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kstars ~/kstars

> Sources will be localed in the ~/kstars directory
>

> * http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual
> * http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git

>>> contents of ~/.gitconfig
> [user]
>        name = Your name
>        email = Your e-mail
> [color]
>        ui = true
> [mergetool "tool"]
>        cmd = kdiff3
>
> [url "git://anongit.kde.org/"]
>        insteadOf = kde:
> [url "git at git.kde.org:"]
>        pushInsteadOf = kde:
> <<< end of git config

I have not followed the above mentioned steps. I could not make out where to
create the file .gitconfig

> Building is little more complicated. To set up environment append config at
> the end of mail to the end of ~/.bashrc (I assume that you use bash). Open a
> new terminal emulator (It's required so changes will make effect).
>
> # 1. Create build directory
> $ mkdir ~/build
> $ cd ~/build
> # 2. Configure kstars. It may fail for some reason
> $ kde-cmake ~/kstars

kde-cmake was not recognised. Therefore i did "cmake ~/kstars"

> # 3. If configuration was  succesfful
> $ make install

This gave some error. So I did "sudo make install"

> # 4. After that kstars could be launched by typing.
> $ $KDEDIR/bin/kstars

$KDEDIR was not recognized. Theredore I did /usr/local/bin/kstars

I was happy to see kstars run. But it was extremely slow and used to hang
for some time...