[Kstars-devel] Re: Getting Started

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 02:08:54 CEST 2011

> This step dint work. So I did
> $ git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kstars ~/kstars

> > Sources will be localed in the ~/kstars directory

Cool.

> > * http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual
> > * http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git

> > [user]
> >        name = Your name
> >        email = Your e-mail
> > [color]
> >        ui = true
> > [mergetool "tool"]
> >        cmd = kdiff3
> >
> > [url "git://anongit.kde.org/"]
> >        insteadOf = kde:
> > [url "git at git.kde.org:"]
> >        pushInsteadOf = kde:
> > <<< end of git config
> >
> I have not followed the above mentioned steps. I could not make out where to
> create the file .gitconfig

~ == Home directory. So you should create it in your home directory.

> > Building is little more complicated. To set up environment append config at
> > the end of mail to the end of ~/.bashrc (I assume that you use bash). Open a
> > new terminal emulator (It's required so changes will make effect).
> >
> > # 1. Create build directory
> > $ mkdir ~/build
> > $ cd ~/build
> > # 2. Configure kstars. It may fail for some reason
> > $ kde-cmake ~/kstars
> >
> kde-cmake was not recognised. Therefore i did "cmake ~/kstars"

Hmm... Alexey, I haven't come across kde-cmake. Is that a goodie from
the KDE SDK scripts?

I think you might need the kdesdk-scripts package or something
similar.

> > # 3. If configuration was  succesfful
> > $ make install
> >
> This gave some error. So I did "sudo make install"

No. Avoid doing that. You should instead run cmake with a prefix. See,
if you run cmake with no arguments, it will set the install directory
as the same place where all your programs are installed. Since you
want the development version of KStars, it is not a good idea to
install it in the global programs directory. So there's a way to do
that. If you get kde-cmake (if I understand what that does), it should
do it automatically for you. Otherwise, you should run cmake as:

cmake ~/kstars -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<Place to install things> \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull

Alexey?

> > # 4. After that kstars could be launched by typing.
> > $ $KDEDIR/bin/kstars
> >
> $KDEDIR was not recognized. Theredore I did /usr/local/bin/kstars

Ah, again, your missing some script goodies. But glad you got the
latest version building! This is good to know!

> I was happy to see kstars run. But it was extremely slow and used to hang
> for some time...

Hmm, weird. That should not happen. Can you see what output it is
writing to the console?

> > # KDE
> > export KDEDIR=$HOME/kde
> > export KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde4
> > export KDETMP=/tmp/kde4-$USER
> > mkdir -p $KDETMP
> > export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIR
> >
> > export PATH=$PATH:$KDEDIR/bin
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$KDEDIR/lib
> >
> > # you might want to change these:
> > export KDE_BUILD=$HOME/kde/build
> > export KDE_SRC=$HOME/svn
> >
> > # make the debug output prettier
> > export KDE_COLOR_DEBUG=1
> > export QTEST_COLORED=1
> >
> > # Invoke cmake with required parameters
> > kde-cmake() {
> >    cmake "$@" \
> >        -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR \
> >        -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=$KDEDIR    \
> >        -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull   \
> >        -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=False
> > }

Laudis, it looks like this is what you missed ^. This should've been
in your .bashrc first, and then you should have re-run your .bashrc by
doing

. ~/.bashrc

Then, things like KDEDIRS and kde-cmake would be set up.