[Kstars-devel] Re: About packaging kstars data files

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 04:25:49 CET 2010

> It's been nearly a month from my last e-mail, in which I asked Mr. Akarsh
> Simha to contact Mr. Erik H?g about the terms on which we are allowed to
> distribute the Tycho-2 data.
>
> Akarsh said:
> > I don't know where the original policy that Jason looked at is. If you
> > don't receive any response from Erik H??g in a while,I could ask
> > Jason about the policy as he read it then, if that is of any help.
>
> and I answered:
> > I wrote Mr. H?g on 2010-09-19 and I've still not received any response. So,
> > I must ask you to, please, do your best of getting the license terms from
> > Jason.
> >
> > Many thanks again
>
> So, this is mostly a ping.

Hi

Thanks for the reminder. I've just written to Jason to see what his
response is.

Also, I must point out that other GPL-ed software such as Cartes du
Ciel and Stellarium ship out Tycho-2 data. Now, I'm bad with
licensing, but does that mean we can use it as well? I can ask the
stellarium list to find out if they got any explicit permission, or
whether they had a source that said it was free.