[Kstars-devel] Re: About packaging kstars data files

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 02:44:43 CET 2010

Hi Noel, and others,

I got an almost immediate reply from Jason regarding this stuff. While
the site that I linked to is down, the WayBack Machine shows that we
were indeed compliant with the policy (as advertised when we used that
data):

http://web.archive.org/web/20070303235508/http://adc.astro.umd.edu/adc/questions_feedback.html#policies

The site reads:

  All ADC data are public domain unless otherwise stated in the
  "ReadMe" file. The data are for scientific use only and have no
  commercial value.

  Use of ADC data in reports, publications or formal presentations of
  any kind should be acknowledged by reference to the original authors
  and publication and to the ADC. The acknowledgement might read:

  This paper uses data provided by Joe/Jane Astronomer in AJ, 110,
  1992 as distributed by the Astronomical Data Center at NASA Goddard
  Space Flight Center.

Maybe we should, although we are not technically any sort of paper
publication, make it clear somewhere in the README, that the Tycho-2
catalog is attributed to them.

Noel, is this sufficient? Any advice that you'd have?