[Kstars-devel] Refined patch for wishlist 178232: List all objects within a rectangle

Abhijit Apte abhijit.apte at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 22:48:17 CET 2010

Hi All,

I'm glad to send you one more patch for 178232 this time including the
following NEW functionality:
Rectangle selection with right-click drag will now not only list the stars
within that rectangle but also lists the deep sky objects in the rectangle.
a) galaxy
b) catalog star
c) open cluster
d) gaseous nebula
e) supernova remnant

P.S: I've attached the snapshots besides the patch for the same.
Interestingly in a small rectangle I selected I could get as many as 210
objects and double clicking each centered it in the sky map. :P

Aside to Alexey:

In its current form DetailDialog could not incorporate such functionality.
> It
> should be redesigned. In my opinion it should be redesigned anyway for two
> reasons:
>
> I agree it should be redesigned by having the frequently used information
in one page and the rest in other tabs.

> 1. To allow to choose from all objects in some radius.
>
> 2. Two tabbed design isn't good. Magnitude is one tab coordinates are on
> another. Not good at all.
>
> However for multiple objects: I'd still suggest to have the list view
itself, it's quite nice to list all the objects in tabular fashion (with all
the details -- RA, Declination, Magnitude, Type of object etc in one single
dialog). The reason why I'm saying this is it'll be useful for astronomers
who actually want to focus on finding what all interesting could they find
in a region of the sky. We can add one more column in the table which
provides a link to more info or something which would then take to
DetailDialog for each object.

Rgds
-Abhi