[Kstars-devel] Understanding INDI messages?

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Wed Apr 28 13:37:46 CEST 2010

>I'm playing with the examples for writing INDI drivers for a telescope and
not sure I understand how KStars sends the messages.  I'm >starting my
driver externally like indiserver -v -p 7624 myScope, then starting KStars.
I can connect to it from within KStars using >Devices / Device Manager then
the Client tab.  I can bring up the INDI Control Panel and manually set the
coords, etc.  But if I do >things like right click on the map and choose
"Center and track", I  don't get any messages sent to my driver.  Is this
the way it >works, or do I have a problem understanding a INDI driver works?

INDI Control Panel is constructed from incoming properties definition from a
driver. Therefore, it's the only place to control _any_ arbitrary driver.
However, if you're trying to control a scope, you have to either implement
EQUATORIAL_EOD_COORD or HORIZONTAL_COORD and ON_COORD_SET properties in your
driver. These are standard properties that once KStars recognizes them, it
automatically inserts these option in the popup menu when you right click on
the sky map.

http://indilib.org/index.php?title=Standard_Properties

You can try running tutorial_two which implements a telescope simulator:

http://www.indilib.org/api/tutorial__two_8c.html

Regards,
Jasem

Thanks