[Kstars-devel] Popup menu usability

Khudyakov Alexey alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 11:44:44 CET 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 17:38:00 Akarsh Simha wrote:

> > AFAIK CdC has annoying issue with catalogs. If you install many catalogs
> > you can found youself with fake double stars. This is because stars has
> > slightly different coordinates in different catalogs. I haven't
> > experienced this myself, only have been told. But without [one object]
> > <-> [many catalog entries] relation this could become kstars problem too.
>
> Right. We could circumvent that by marking catalogs as conflicting and
> choose a better catalog version when there is a conflict.
>
> (Jason actually matched stars between catalogs using some position /
> magnitude tolerance across catalogs, which is why we have a catalog
> without repetitions now.)

Even better is to perform kind of merge. Pick data from better catalog but
provide way to look into both. I've seen such functionality in Guide liked
it.

One thing I dislike in current catalog handling is cheating about spectral
class. Tycho2 doesn't provide spectral class information (GSC and USNO too).
But in details dialog it has spectral class like 'F?'. Derived from B-V
presumably. Not a nice thing to do.