[Kstars-devel] Popup menu usability

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 15:38:00 CET 2009

Hi Alexey

> It turned out to be somewhat difficult, since on map labels are not QLabels
> and thus do not make '<sup>m</sup>' superscript. I'll left it aside for time
> being

Oh, okay.

> > > As for my thoughts on catalogs. Sorry for delay but writing everything
> > > takes more time than I expected.
> >
> > Well, I have some thoughts too - I would like to have support for
> > Cartes du Ciel's catalog format - they are really extensible.
> >
> Is there some documention on that or should I look into sources?
>
> AFAIK CdC has annoying issue with catalogs. If you install many catalogs you
> can found youself with fake double stars. This is because stars has slightly
> different coordinates in different catalogs. I haven't experienced this
> myself, only have been told. But without [one object] <-> [many catalog
> entries] relation this could become kstars problem too.

Right. We could circumvent that by marking catalogs as conflicting and
choose a better catalog version when there is a conflict.

(Jason actually matched stars between catalogs using some position /
magnitude tolerance across catalogs, which is why we have a catalog
without repetitions now.)

> > Why not try p->type() to distinguish between Comets, Asteroids and
> > Planets, and p->isMajorPlanet() to distinguish between minor and major
> > planets?
>
> This does work. It's only breaks for Jupiter moon. type() return
> UNKNOWN_OBJECT for them. It seems that they are made special case somehow I'm
> digging for it now.

Okay. I didn't know that.