[Kstars-devel] Popup menu usability

Médéric Boquien mboquien at free.fr
Thu Mar 5 14:20:39 CET 2009

Le Thursday 05 March 2009 05:44:44 Khudyakov Alexey, vous avez écrit :
> One thing I dislike in current catalog handling is cheating about spectral
> class.

It is not cheating. It is inferring from the available data.

> Tycho2 doesn't provide spectral class information (GSC and USNO
> too). But in details dialog it has spectral class like 'F?'. Derived from
> B-V presumably. Not a nice thing to do.

Do you have any better idea? We won't get the spectra of 100 million stars
anytime soon. Even gaia will provide spectra only for a tiny fraction of them.
The colour is a relatively good indicator of the spectral type. Far from
perfect but still the best in our case.

Médéric