[Kstars-devel] Popup menu usability

Khudyakov Alexey alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 22:16:57 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 08:48:39 Akarsh Simha wrote:
> > Me too. BTW it would be nice to add such <sup>m</sup> to labels on map.
> > For me it takes some time to understand that number after label is
> > magnitude.
>
> Good idea. You could go ahead and implement that too.

It turned out to be somewhat difficult, since on map labels are not QLabels
and thus do not make '<sup>m</sup>' superscript. I'll left it aside for time
being

> > As for my thoughts on catalogs. Sorry for delay but writing everything
> > takes more time than I expected.
>
> Well, I have some thoughts too - I would like to have support for
> Cartes du Ciel's catalog format - they are really extensible.

Is there some documention on that or should I look into sources?

AFAIK CdC has annoying issue with catalogs. If you install many catalogs you
can found youself with fake double stars. This is because stars has slightly
different coordinates in different catalogs. I haven't experienced this
myself, only have been told. But without [one object] <-> [many catalog
entries] relation this could become kstars problem too.

> Why not try p->type() to distinguish between Comets, Asteroids and
> Planets, and p->isMajorPlanet() to distinguish between minor and major
> planets?

This does work. It's only breaks for Jupiter moon. type() return
UNKNOWN_OBJECT for them. It seems that they are made special case somehow I'm
digging for it now.