[Kstars-devel] Simplification KStarsData init.

Médéric Boquien mboquien at free.fr
Sat Aug 15 22:56:25 CEST 2009

Le Saturday 15 August 2009 16:35:53 Khudyakov Alexey, vous avez écrit :
> В сообщении от Вторник 11 августа 2009 18:56:13 автор Médéric Boquien
написал:
> > The initialisation code is likely the most awful part in kstars. I had a
> > look a few months ago trying to understand why some data were loaded
> > several times. I improved a bit but that was still not satisfying. So it
> > would be great if you could simplify the code. It is so convoluted for
> > now it is hard to touch it.
>
> No, it's only second. First place rightfully belongs to saturnmoons. That's
> the real mess. (-:

I am not sure what you are refering to here exactly.

> I've simplified initialization code a little. However because everything is
> very convoluted and depends on each other I had to refactor SkyMap a lot.
> Patchset is big ~20 patches. They affect KStars and SkyMap classes. So if
>  you have work that could be damaged by carpet patch-bombing tell me I'll
>  wait with commit.

Nothing here.

> I'm not sure that now code will work in every border case. But it's work in
> normal circumstances and it could be simplified  further. Then it would be
> easier to reason about them.

I think it is the right moment to do that, we are still early in the cycle to
be able to catch most problems (if any).

> P.S. I found that there are a lot of unused code in KStars. Do anyone knows
> methods to find unused functions automatically. It would make refactoring
> easier.

That would be useful too. Kstars went from KDE 2 to KDE 3 to KDE 4, it is not
surprising that there are some leftovers here and there. I have no idea how to
find unused methods though.

Médéric