[Kstars-devel] 1e8 stars in KStars

Médéric Boquien mboquien at free.fr
Mon Sep 8 20:25:55 CEST 2008

Hello Jason and Akarsh,

Le Monday 08 September 2008 13:59:52 Jason Harris, vous avez écrit :
> I think we may need to tweak how faint stars get drawn; they look
> pretty "muddy" at the moment...it's also interesting to see sharp
> "edges" in the colors of stars...my guess is that it's simply an
> artifact of the catalog itself.

Speaking of which, i played a bit with Stellarium over the weekend and i tried
their 200×10⁶ stars catalogue. The result is not always pretty. See
http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=squareslv4.png for instance. We can
see the tiles and the gradient in the colours. Apparently the NOAO B1.0
catalogue gives magnitudes precise to 0.3 magnitude which is not very good. I
fear kstars will run into the same sort of problems. Perhaps using the 2MASS
catalogue could be used to circumvent the problem?

Regards,

Médéric