[Kstars-devel] 1e8 stars in KStars

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 09:26:26 CEST 2008

On 9/8/08, Médéric Boquien <mboquien at free.fr> wrote:
> Hello Jason and Akarsh,
>
>  Le Monday 08 September 2008 13:59:52 Jason Harris, vous avez écrit :
>
> > I think we may need to tweak how faint stars get drawn; they look
>  > pretty "muddy" at the moment...it's also interesting to see sharp
>  > "edges" in the colors of stars...my guess is that it's simply an
>  > artifact of the catalog itself.
>

> Speaking of which, i played a bit with Stellarium over the weekend and i tried
>  their 200×10⁶ stars catalogue. The result is not always pretty. See
>  http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=squareslv4.png for instance. We can
>  see the tiles and the gradient in the colours. Apparently the NOAO B1.0
>  catalogue gives magnitudes precise to 0.3 magnitude which is not very good. I
>  fear kstars will run into the same sort of problems. Perhaps using the 2MASS
>  catalogue could be used to circumvent the problem?

What is the reason for such tiles? Are we seeing them in KStars too?

Whenever 'V' is undefined, I use B-V = 1.6. There are many such cases,
so you might see a large density of reddish stars. But I haven't
noticed sharp edges.

Are these tiles (in density / colour) a result of telescopes that
create the catalog capturing the sky tile-by-tile?