[Kstars-devel] Bug in moon position?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu May 29 20:21:30 CEST 2008

Hi

I was just fiddling with the conjunction tool, while I noticed what
seems like a glaring discrepency in KStars. The occultation of Mars by
the Moon on May 10th 2008 never turned up. I went to that particular
date and time and tried checking up the RA and Dec of Moon / Mars.

While the RA/Dec of Mars is in good agreement with that generated from
JPL's HORIZONS and CalSky.com, The moon's RA seems to have about half
an hour's difference, and the Dec about half a degree difference! [I
don't know if I messed up with something here!]

Date/Time: 10th May 2008, 20:37 +05:30
Location: Bangalore, India [77d35m E, ~13d N]

Moon's RA/Dec reported by KStars:
RA ~ 07h 41m, Dec ~ 21d 12m

Moon's RA/Dec reported by HORIZONS:
RA ~ 8h 11m, Dec ~ 21d 50m

Could somebody verify this? What can this be due to?