[Kstars-devel] KStars context menu

Jason Harris jharris at 30doradus.org
Sat Jun 9 02:45:40 CEST 2007

Hello,

On Friday 08 June 2007 16:27, Akarsh Simha wrote:
> What I meant to convey is this - you should be able to do a DSS query on
> any point on the sky.
Actually, you already can get a DSS image for any point on the sky, because
the DSS action is present in the popup menu, even when you right-click on
empty sky.

> Instead of putting it in the context menu, I think it would be more
> sensible to have a "DSS Query at..." option in such a toolbar. You select
> this and your mouse cursor changes to some kind of Bull's Eye, or the
> regular Crosshair with a different colour or something. Click on a point
> and it obtains a DSS image, field of the DSS query decided by the zoom
> level. Regards,
>    Akarsh.

Since the DSS action is always present in the menu, there's nothing "context
sensitive" about it.  So from that point of view, maybe it doesn't belong in
the context-sensitive interface.  However, one of the reasons to bring up the
popup menu is because you want an image of the clicked position.  From this
perspective, the DSS action belongs perfectly, because it is providing
exactly that service, for any position on the sky.

So, I'm not sure where to put the DSS action.  I'm not crazy about adding
another toolbar button.  Anyone have more thoughts on this?

Jason Harris
jharris at 30doradus.org