[Kstars-devel] KStars context menu

Jason Harris jharris at 30doradus.org
Sat Jun 9 02:26:49 CEST 2007

Hi Jasem,

On Friday 08 June 2007 14:45, Jasem Mutlaq wrote:
> 1. Add Link: We already have this functionality in the
> details dialog. I think it's time to remove this menu
> item from the context menu.

Ok, Agreed.

> 2. Angular Distance To: While useful and I use it
> occasionally, most users wouldn't be using it often.
>
> I suggest it should be removed as well from the menu.
> But where would it go?
>
> Maybe we can add another small toolbar for that
> purpose (actions in the skymap). A "hand" icon is the
> default and you can use it to zoom and pan like
> normal. A ruler or a similar icon for angular
> distance, and another icon for area-zoom (now done
> with ctrl+left mouse).

I don't like this idea of different "modes".  I think it should *always* be
possible to drag around the skymap with the mouse.  I think having modes like
this would be confusing and frustrating.  I'd much rather try to have an
interface that is really simple on the surface, but has underlying complexity
that (a) doesn't get in the way, (b) is intuitive, and (c) is easy to
discover.  This is why I like Ctrl+Drag to zoom in much better than having a
separate "zoom mode" that would break the user's expectations of how
fundamental parts of the program should behave (i.e., dragging the mouse to
slew the map).

I do like the idea of making our popup menu smaller.  To be honest, I'd like
to get rid of it altogether.  It's ugly and covers up too much of the map.
However, we need to have some interface to our object-specific data and
actions.  If not a context-sensitive menu, then what?

I've actually been thinking about this recently.  One idea is a
context-sensitive interactive overlay that surrounds the object on click.
See my attached (very rough) mockup.  I like this idea better than a popup
menu because it's embedded in the map (rather than a huge opaque widget
covering the map), and presents the information much more compactly.  I think
it would feel much less "in the way" than a popup menu.

In the mockup, the clicked object is surrounded by a circle, above which we
present its name, object type and constellation.  Interactive elements are
colored light yellow, and they should get brighter on mouseover to indicate
that they are interactive.  Clicking on "C" centers the object in the map.
Clicking on "D" opens the Details window.  Clicking on "A" adds it to the
observing list.  (Obviously, these could/should be little icons instead of
letters).

Clicking on "Data" displays some information about the object (mag, distance,
coordinates?, rise/set/transit?).  Clicking on "Images" or "Info" displays a
clickable list of image links or web page links.  This information would be
placed on the right, below "Data > Images > Info >"

I was also thinking you could click on the Transient object label to invoke
the "Attach Label" action (i.e., click the label to attach it to the object
permanently).  I like this idea, because it's intuitive (you are "sticking"
the label to the map by clicking on it) and unclutters the interface.

I haven't addressed the Angular Ruler interface.  I think we could just use
Shift+Drag, (or Middle-Drag or Right-Drag) for the Angular Ruler.  If we do
this, we'll need to make the map slew when the mouse nears an edge of the
map, so that offscreen targets can be reached while dragging.  The line that
is drawn while moving the cursor to the second endpoint should have an
attached text label that shows the current angular distance of the line.
Again, this keeps the interface simple, keeping a powerful (but not often
used) feature out of the way, but making it easily discoverable and intuitive
to use.  A user that discovers this feature will understand it immediately,
because they'll see the text showing the angular size of the line changing as
they move the mouse around.

Also, we could get rid of the "C" button in my mockup and just use
Double-click to center an object in the map.

Anyway, that's a lot of information.  Sorry about the core-dump :)
What do you think?

Jason

----

--