[Kstars-devel] KStars fails to start after getting ephemerides-2007.01

Bart Coppens kde at bartcoppens.be
Thu Jan 11 17:35:11 CET 2007

Hi,

I just updated my ephemerids to the ephemerides-2007.01 that just got
committed (r622334). Unfortunately, KStars (an old KDE 3.5 one) won't start
anymore: it hangs somewhere. This happens after a LOT of spewing of debug
output like
ExtDate: Invalid date 0000-00-00

If I run a relatively less old KDE3.5 KStars checkout with debug symbols in
gdb, and interrupt at the seeming hang to backtrace, it claims to be at

#0  0x000000000044b758 in dms::reduce (this=0x7fffffd0adf0)
at /mnt/kde-devel/3.5/kdeedu/kstars/kstars/dms.cpp:276
#1  0x000000000048dfdb in KSAsteroid::findGeocentricPosition (this=0x3f45670,
num=0x7fffffd0b060, Earth=0x3cc8fd0)
at /mnt/kde-devel/3.5/kdeedu/kstars/kstars/ksasteroid.cpp:43
etc.
But looking at that piece of code suggests nothing wrong; maybe something is
wrong with the debug info there. If I backtrace in my regular checkout, it
gives a lot of nonsensical function addresses at the top of the stack,
intermingled with
#9  0x00002aaaac20d776 in QObject::activate_signal ()
from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3

I asked anma to reproduce, and with her, KStars even hung directly after
downloading the ephemerids file, and as well after a restart.

I hope this information helps to locate the problem (if there is any indeed),

Bart Coppens

PS: Please CC me, I'm not subscribed