[Kstars-devel] RFC: new popup "menu"?

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Sun Mar 12 06:24:49 CET 2006

Hello,

> Personally, I like the look of #2 better, but I
> don't know if people will find
> it less usable since the actions and links require
> an extra mouse click (or
> maybe just a mouse "hover", depending on how we
> implement it) to reach.
>
> The idea is to make this widget behave very
> similarly to a regular popup menu:
> it appears on right-click, and disappears when the
> mouse is clicked anywhere
> outside of it.  However, I'd like to add a "tear
> off" feature: if the user
> drags the popup widget, then it becomes a non-modal
> dialog window (and gains
> window decorations that it otherwise wouldn't have).
>  The user could then
> have a number of these widgets present for the
> objects they are interested
> in.
>
> I just thought of another idea (#3): we're
> duplicating the functionality of
> the Details window somewhat with these ideas.  Maybe
> it would be best to
> simply open the Details window of an object on
> right-click?  It could be
> reorganized to be more compact by default, so it
> doesn't cover up so much of
> the window.

While these ideas are new and interesting, I'd rather
we end up with a popup menu resembling what we have
already. One problem that I see is that INDI
dynamically adds and removes sub-menus for devices.
This doesn't appear possible with #1 or #2. if can
replicate the appearance (grayed and centered text for
info) in the popup menu, then that would be great.

Cheers,
Jasem