[Kstars-devel] Need help diagnosing KStars slowness

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 6 06:18:14 CEST 2006

On Monday 05 June 2006 21:05, Jason Harris wrote:

> Can those of you who find kstars (from trunk) very slow please apply the
> attached patch to skymapevents.cpp?  It just adds a debug message that
> reports how long SkyMap drawing takes.  For me, I get about 1.5 sec for a
> full draw, and 0.2 sec for a draw while slewing (my CPU is amd64 2.4GHz).

It takes .8 seconds to draw the screen with nothing on it.  When I add just
the grid lines (no stars, planets, etc) it goes up to about 3 seconds.

I can barely see the constellation boundaries so sometimes they are on too.
But even with them off, just the grid pushes the time over 3 seconds.

I can't get anything but the grid lines, constellation boundaries, and
constellation names to show up.  I think I saw stars and all sorts of
things the first time I started it but I haven't seem them recently.

I did an "rm -r ~/.kde/share/apps/kstars" but that didn't seem to suffice
to fully wipe out KStars' memory and bring the stars back.

It seems that almost every step in the menus takes at least a second
which makes it painful to do anything.  The screen redraws when I hit the
stars-toggle button but no stars show up.

--
Peace, James