[Kstars-devel] Need help diagnosing KStars slowness

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 7 04:39:07 CEST 2006

On Monday 05 June 2006 21:05, Jason Harris wrote:
> For me, I get about 1.5 sec for a full draw, and 0.2 sec for a draw
> while slewing (my CPU is amd64 2.4GHz).

I was able to get the stars back by deleting both ~/.kde/share/apps/kstars/
and ~/.kde/share/config/kstarsrc.

With everything on the screen as per the default configuration, zoomed out
so the entire (half) celestial sphere is visible a full draw takes over
6 seconds.  While slewing it takes about 0.9 seconds.  This is on a
1.6 GHz Pentium-4 Mobile.

The toggle button for the solar system does not seem to work but most of
the others do seem to work.

One strange thing is that there is a significant lag between when I press
a toggle button and when the screen is redrawn.  I realize that I will
need to wait for the time it takes to do the screen redraw but the lag
seems to be almost twice that long.

For example, if I have most things turned off so a redraw takes about
3 seconds and I then toggle the horizon, I have to wait about 8 seconds
before the screen changes.  During this time KStars (I presume) is using
100% of the CPU.  In the console window, KStars reports that the skymap
draw took 2.8 seconds.  So it seems that something else is eating up
even more CPU than drawing the skymap.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can give you.

--
Peace, James