[Kstars-devel] Interesting HTM timing results

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 2 03:10:30 CEST 2006

On Thursday 01 June 2006 16:22, Jason Harris wrote:
> I bet you just need to run "sudo make install" in the libkdeedu directory.
> cmake is smart enough to compile libkdeedu as a dependency, but somehow it
> doesn't know that it should install these libs also.

That did it.  KStars now runs.  When it is running it eats up 100% of my CPU.
Well, it and X.  When I exit KStars the CPU usage drops to near zero.  Also,
I had trouble exiting KStars.  I got the little popup window that said the
application had stopped responding.

Also, it seems that running the new KStars has an adverse impact on my
existing KDE setup.  After I run KStars most things in KDE stop working.
I need to restart KDE to get them back to normal.  Dcop is unhappy.
KLauncher can't work and the K-Menu now fills the screen with options.

I installed the new qt and the new kde stuff under /usr/local/qt4 and
under /usr/local/kde/4.0.  But I didn't create a new user account.
I just sourced a file defining KDEDIR, QTDIR, etc, before working on
or running the new KStars.  Is creating a new user account essential?

Logging out of KDE and logging back in seems to clear up most of the
problems.  Running the new KStars again brings them back.

When KStars ran (from a konsole), it waited a little while and then
spit out a bunch of messages like:

kio (KLauncher): KLauncher: Got kdeinit_exec_wait('kbuildsycoca', ...)
kdeinit: Got EXT_EXEC 'kbuildsycoca' from launcher.
findExe(kbuildsycoca, pstr, false) called
findExe(): relative path given
findExe(): returning /usr/local/kde/4.0/bin/kbuildsycoca
QApplication::qAppName() failed: please instantiate the QApplication object first.
creating: bowlin.chihuahua;1149207854;958472;13779_TIME0:
kio (KLauncher): kbuildsycoca (pid 13890) up and running.
DCOP: register 'kbuildsycoca' -> number of clients is now 3
kbuildsycoca running...
DCOP: register 'anonymous-13890' -> number of clients is now 4
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-jbowlin/ksycoca
kbuildsycoca: checking file timestamps
kbuildsycoca: timestamps check ok
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-13890'
DCOP: unregister 'kbuildsycoca'
kdeinit: PID 13890 terminated.
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-jbowlin/ksycoca
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /home/jbowlin/.kde3.5/share/servicetypes [KDirWatch-2]
kio (KDirWatch):  Setup FAM (Req 3) for /home/jbowlin/.kde3.5/share/servicetypes
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/share/servicetypes [KDirWatch-2]
kio (KDirWatch):  Setup FAM (Req 4) for /usr/share/servicetypes
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/4.0/share/servicetypes [KDirWatch-2]
kio (KDirWatch):  Setup FAM (Req 5) for /usr/local/kde/4.0/share/servicetypes

I'm going to give it a rest for a while.

--
Peace, James