[Kstars-devel] Intrest in helping Data Team

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Mon Mar 21 00:57:26 CET 2005

Hi Kenneth,

Great, thanks for your interest!  I am assuming you don't have copies of
our data files, since you say you haven't used KStars.  In that case,
you can get the latest versions here:
http://webcvs.kde.org/kdeedu/kstars/kstars/data/

The Hipparcos star catalog is the series of files named hipNNN.dat.
Click on the version number column to download the file.  These files
are sorted by magnitude, so if you just want to start with the
brightest stars, you can just grab hip001.dat.

The internet links are stored in image_url.dat and info_url.dat.

Collecting image Thumbnails would be easier if done from within KStars,
but can be done manually too.  The images must be 200x200 pixels, and
should be named "thumb-objectname.png" (assuming PNG format, which is
preferred, but other formats are acceptable).

Finally, since the default thumbnail set will be distributed, we have to
be a bit careful about copyright issues.  Almost all images online are
"free for non-commercial use", which is good enough for our
purposes[*], but please do keep a record of the source of each image,
an author credit, and any usage restrictions/license information, if
possible.

Again, thanks for your interest!  I look forward to your contributions.

regards,
Jason

[*] We cannot ship data licensed as "free for non-commercial use" with
KStars directly, but we can provide it as a downloadable "get new
stuff" data set.

On Monday 21 March 2005 05:19, Kenneth Frank wrote:
> Hello,
> I haven't used your software, let alone the platform, but it sounds
> like good fun!
> Sign me up!
>
> Kenneth Frank
> 773 Tiburon Blvd.
> Tiburon, CA
> 94920
>
> AANC VP      http://aanc-astronomy.org/
> SFAA 		http://www.sfaa-astronomy.org/sfaa/
> SFSA 		http://www.sfsidewalkastronomers.org/
> and way too many other clubs
>
> I'd like to help:
>
>   Add names to unnamed stars and deep-sky objects
>   Expand the list of internet links available in the popup menu
> & Collect default Thumbnail images for the new Details window
>
> Do I know what I'm getting myself into?  No.  But I'm a sucker for
> volunteering,
> Ken
> ps My Buddy from the SFAA & SFSA, Robert English is no doubt signing
> up too &-)
> As he turned me on to you guys.

KStars: Desktop Planetarium for KDE
http://edu.kde.org/kstars