[Kstars-devel] INDI Library v0.2 released

Jean-Baptiste BUTET ashashiwa at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 28 21:43:43 CEST 2004

Hi all :)

Sorry for disgressions, we're going to speak astronomy and not software
here ;)

> I'm rather impressed by the way Kstars and INDI works, was able to connect my
> telescope and philips web cam on a local and remote (old labtop) PC, so need
> to start exploring the skies. Also need to find out how to increase the
> shutter time from 1 second to a higher number on the Philips PCV 675K webcam.

the only way is to make your webcam "SC" (steve Chambers). It's an
hardware modification. Limitation shutter speed is in webcam where we
can't change it.
http://www.astrosurf.com/astrobond
follow "RAW mode". There's an english page.

If you have a toucam (640K) or a toucam II, you can made a USB single
modification. But it runs only under linux (and Indi doesn't suport it
yet.. it's in Qastrocam new version only ;) )
http://www.astrosurf.com/djibb/new/modif.htm
(in french... sorry... but pictures are clear)
It's my cam... it works very well :
http://astrosurf.com/djibb/new/images/astro/Ciel%20Profond/index.html

> My request would be whether it would be possible to support the Meade LPI
> webcam or whether it is possible to get the usb software specs for further
> development.

I don't think Jasem can do something for this... only Meade can release
specs.. no ?
(Are you a Meade jobber Jasem ? ;) )

>Currently you need a rather heavy PC running .NET to be able to
> get some pictures. Or going into the cheaper ccd camera's what kind of
> camera's might be supported by indi over time?

Yep ! Very good question, as Indi is becoming the "reference" in
hardware controlling, support for lots of cameras will be released. BUT
we need specs... SBIG, for example makes very closed driver...

> For the fits viewer it might be usefull to add a feature to stack pictures.

(if I have all understood...) This job is not done by Indi but by
Software like kstars, Skychart.
If you are a programmer, There's an alignment and Stack code in this 2
programs :
Qastrocam : http://www.3demi.net/qastrocam/doc
Audela : http://software.audela.free.fr

I hope every driver maker can include his driver in Indi. Like this,
every Software could be able to have a big panel of ressources...

Indi is marvellous and very good thought.

Cheers,

				JB

--
Astronomie, Webcam, Linux