[Kstars-devel] Saving screen width/height etc.

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Tue Mar 9 22:13:24 CET 2004

Hi Heiko,

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 13:35, Heiko Evermann wrote:
> 1) I have installed the current CVS version of kstars in order to fix
> one bug that I had left behind: save full screen mode to the options and
> do not save the current width/height in case of full screen mode. So I
> first tried to familiarize myself with the new option code. Then I
> checked the current behaviour and found out that at the moment, my
> kstars does not save screen width/height.
> This was different before the new option code was inserted. Is this
> change of behaviour intentional? In this case full screen would not have
> to be remembered either.

This wasn't intentional, I have committed a fix.  The values are stored in the
KStars dtor.  The window size is initialized to the Options values in
KStars::privatedata::buildGUI() (in kstarsinit.cpp).  This part was already
in place, I was just missing storing the values on exit.

I guess you'll want to wrap this storing of values in an if statement that
checks to see if fullscreen mode is active.

> 2) On the Linux Day in Wilhelmshaven last weekend I came across a new
> listbox feature that gets used in several places of KDE by now. It is an
> edit field that serves as filter input for a listbox. It gets used in
> kmail and in juk. It shows all entries that have the currently entered
> substring in any of the columns. This behavour would be good for the
> find object dialog in kstars, too. You would find "1973 SS4" by entering
> SS4. I think that could be helpful, and we would get it for free, by
> just using a standard control. I will try to find the class name of this
> widget.

Sounds good!

> 3) The new options dialog does not appear on first click on menu
> "settings". It appears after the second click and on every subsequent
> click. Strange, isn't it?

Thanks for catching this; the problem was a missing "dialog->show()" at the
end of slotViewOps().  The reason it worked on subsequent calls is, once the
viewops dialog is created it is saved for future requests and shown with a
separate call at the beginning of the slot.  The one I just added is called
only the first time, after the dialog is created for the first time.

KStars: A KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars