[Kstars-devel] Re: KStars

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqj at mailsnare.net
Sat Jun 26 18:14:30 CEST 2004

>Thanks for letting us know about this.  It would of course be best if
>people would file bug reports when encountering such issues, or at
>least email us directly; can you forward the mail you've gotten?
>
>Please understand that we (especially Jasem) have made every attempt to
>make sure kstars compiles on all platforms.  When compatibility issues
>exist, it's simply because we are unaware of the problem, not beause we
>are ignoring non-linux issues.  For example, see
>kstars/kstars/indi/webcam/Makefile.am where we identify different
>compile targets depending on the architecture.

In addition to that, I'd like to add that I'm going to remove the assembly code and replace it with a portable, albeit slower implementation.

Now, the issues that were reported I already took care of, but cannot commit it just yet (deep freeze):

1. 64bit issues
2. BSD issues

As Jason said, we can only fix something if someone reports a problem. I noticed that some people do not post KStars issues here, but on other mailing lists. KStars-devel and indi-devel are the only mailing lists I watch, so if people complain about things, please let us know and we'll take care of it.

The goal is to get things "compiled" on all platforms, though things are designed to work mostly on Linux. We have this issue because KStars interfaces with hardware, so there is an unavoided dependency on the architecture of the operating system.

Let see how it goes after I make my commit tomorrow.

cheers,
Jasem