[Kstars-devel] opinions on using KNewStuff for Hipparcos catalog?

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Fri Jun 4 11:45:52 CEST 2004

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Jason Harris wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am just about ready to commit the code to enable "Get New Stuff" in
> KStars.  At this point, there are three files that can be downloaded:
>
> + The Messier images displayed on the map
> + Updated comet/asteroid ephemerides
> + Steinicke's NGC/IC catalog
>
> I am also considering reducing the default Hipparcos star catalog back
> to 40,000 stars and making the larger catalog available for download.
> This would reduce the size of KStars by 5 MB or so.  Do you guys have
> any opinion on this?  I guess I would rather leave the full catalog in
> by default, but I know some people think kdeedu is too big...

I think this is a good thing to do, but only if downloading and installing
add-on data can be done with just a few mouseclicks from within KStars
itself. Also, I think KStars should offer the user to download and
install the add-on data, which could be done when KStars is started for
the first time.

Cheers!

Dik