[Kstars-devel] opinions on using KNewStuff for Hipparcos catalog?

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Fri Jun 4 08:50:05 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am just about ready to commit the code to enable "Get New Stuff" in
KStars.  At this point, there are three files that can be downloaded:

+ The Messier images displayed on the map
+ Updated comet/asteroid ephemerides
+ Steinicke's NGC/IC catalog

I am also considering reducing the default Hipparcos star catalog back
to 40,000 stars and making the larger catalog available for download.
This would reduce the size of KStars by 5 MB or so.  Do you guys have
any opinion on this?  I guess I would rather leave the full catalog in
by default, but I know some people think kdeedu is too big...

KStars: A KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars