[Kstars-devel] Full screen mode

Heiko Evermann Heiko.Evermann at gmx.de
Mon Feb 16 23:22:01 CET 2004

Hi Jason, hi everyone,

>>How do we go on from here? Shall I implement the full screen mode or
>>is anyone else working on some central files anyway? It seems to be a
>>question of just a few lines of code.
>>

>Yes!  Please go ahead.

I have added full screen support in head. I tried CCMAIL, but it did not
show up in my mailbox. (What was wrong?)

It works just fine. I have added "full screen" in the view menu and in
the toolbar. The menu entry switches the text, and the toolbar button
automagically gets displayed as "pressed"/"not pressed"

... and ...

it gets translated without any change! It uses a KDE standard action and
it is covered by kdelibs.po.

Only one question: should we save full screen mode together with other
options? At the moment we save window size and position. So if you
switch to full screen, close kstars and repopen it, you get a very big
window, but no full screen. If we want to change that, we would have to
change kstarsoptions. Would it still be compatible with older saved
options? What changes would be neccessary there?

Apart from this little drawback, I think it just works fine. Please try
it out and tell me, whether it is working, and whether it still displays
everything correctly. To me it seems to, but there might be some
astronomical details in the calculations that I miss.

> ...but you can't add it to BRANCH; this would count as a new feature.

I don't know why we shouldn't also add it to KDE_3_2_BRANCH after it is
thoroughly tested. Is there any mailing list to ask for permission? Is
there a total feature freeze, even though KDE 3.2.0 is out? I had
thought that the feature and string freeze only apply till KDE 3.2(.0)
was done. It is even possible to add some (limited number of) new
strings if you are so polite to inform i18n-kde-doc to inform the
translators about it, if it is some improvement worth the effort.

Besides: full screen mode is listed in bugs.kde.org (ok, as a wish, but
it is listed) and it does not afflict the translators at all. So where
is the problem. Should users really wait for KDE 3.3 to have a full
screen of kstars? It might be different for menu color change for night
vision etc.

>Welcome back!  :)

I have never been far away. I am still on the list. It is just that
there has been a lot of programming in kstars over time where I know far
too little about astronomy. So I just listened and spent my free time on
KDE in Low Saxon instead.

Regards,

Heiko