[Kstars-devel] Re: angular distance

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Tue Feb 3 18:41:41 CET 2004

Hi Pablo,

I have another comment on the angular distance tool.  It works great, but I
wonder about left-clicking to pick the second target.  A user might want to
make sure they were getting the right target by left-clicking to identify it,
*before* commiting the object as the target.  Plus, it's not obvious that
left-click would be overloaded this way.

Also, by having left-click trigger the second target, it is not possible to
drag the map with the mouse when in angle mode, without breaking out of angle
mode first.  (If we decide to keep left-click for the second target, this
could be fixed by moving the second-target code to mouseReleaseEvent() and
checking to make sure we hadn't dragged the map).

A couple of ideas:

+ make the second target selection a popup menu item, just as it is for the
first target.  Disadvantage: less easy to use.

+ bind both first and second target selections to a keystroke.  They could
also be popup menu items, where the keystroke would be indicated.

+ (something I've been thinking about adding anyway): do status bar
identification of the nearest object automatically on mouse hover, rather
than on left-click.  Maybe even have the object name labeled on the map
instead of in the toolbar, and have it "fade away" after the mouse cursor
moves off the object.  This would be easy to do with drawOverlays().

Any thoughts?

KStars: KDE Desktop Planetarium
kstars at 30doradus.org