[Kstars-devel] Re: angular distance

Pablo de Vicente p.devicente at wanadoo.es
Tue Feb 3 21:37:40 CET 2004

El Martes, 3 de Febrero de 2004 18:41, Jason Harris escribió:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> I have another comment on the angular distance tool.  It works great, but I
> wonder about left-clicking to pick the second target.  A user might want to
> make sure they were getting the right target by left-clicking to identify
> it, *before* commiting the object as the target.  Plus, it's not obvious
> that left-click would be overloaded this way.

 Oh, I had not thought on this possiblity.

> Also, by having left-click trigger the second target, it is not possible to
> drag the map with the mouse when in angle mode, without breaking out of
> angle mode first.  (If we decide to keep left-click for the second target,
> this could be fixed by moving the second-target code to mouseReleaseEvent()
> and checking to make sure we hadn't dragged the map).

Yes that is right. First, one has to break the measuring angle mode, and later
drag the map.

> A couple of ideas:
>
> + make the second target selection a popup menu item, just as it is for the
> first target.  Disadvantage: less easy to use.

 That was my first idea, but it is a bit more uncomfortable. But we can do
that. It is just one more click. The uncomfort comes from the fact that you
have to search the entry in the popup menu.

> + bind both first and second target selections to a keystroke.  They could
> also be popup menu items, where the keystroke would be indicated.

Umm, I had not thought about that possibilty, but I like it better than the
first one. It is a refinement of using the popup menu. Once you use it for
the first time you can learn it and use the keystrokes. Yes, that may be a
good solution.

> + (something I've been thinking about adding anyway): do status bar
> identification of the nearest object automatically on mouse hover, rather
> than on left-click.  Maybe even have the object name labeled on the map
> instead of in the toolbar, and have it "fade away" after the mouse cursor
> moves off the object.  This would be easy to do with drawOverlays().

 That would very nice, and the name fading away would be cool. Probably that
would be the best option. But I do not want to provoke the change. I mean, if
you want to implement that option, I think it is a great idea, but do not
feel pushed by me because of the measuring angle mode. We can also choose the
second option. Any option we choose is ok with me.

Anyhow as a general comment, we should choose thinking in the users and the
usability and IMHO this last option would be probably the best one.

regards,

Pablo.