[Kstars-devel] NGC/IC catalog

Pablo de Vicente pvicentea at wanadoo.es
Wed Sep 3 11:07:31 CEST 2003

El Martes 2 de Septiembre de 2003 18:13, Jason Harris escribió:
> Hello,

 Hello Jason,

> I have been attempting to find a replacement for our NGC/IC catalog,
> because the one we are currently using is free for non-commercial use only.
>  I found a really nice version by Wolfgang Steinicke that includes
> modernizations and corrections verified by him personally.  Unfortunately,
> this one is also FFNCU.  I emailed Herr Steinicke to ask him if he was
> interested in releasing a version of his catalog under a GPL-compatible
> license, trying to explain the situation as best as I could.  He simply
> replied that since KStars was non-commercial, there was no problem in using
> his catalog under its current license.

 I think, as Jasem says, that this kind of license will be considered
"non-free" from the Debian point of view.

> I have been unable to find a version of the NGC/IC catalog in the public
> domain that contains all of the data that we'd like to use (such as angular
> size, aspect ratio, position angle, and magnitude).  I am in the process of
> synthesizing my own NGC/IC catalog from several public sources, but it will
> likely be less complete than Steinicke's when it is finished.
>
> So, I would like your opinion:
>
> + I think that it is Ok to include Steinicke's catalog in the program, with
> a header that indicates that it must not be incorporated into a commercial
> application without first contacting the author for permission.

  I agree, that is OK and it is fair to do so. However the Steinicke's catalog
probably cannot be added to a Debian package, or if it is added it may force
KStars to go to the "non-free" section.

> + I am willing to finish my "Free" NGC/IC catalog, and make that available
> to distributions or users who are concerned with the restrictive usage
> terms on the main catalog.  Each version of the catalog would contain a
> reference to the other version in its header (with a URL for download).
> For example, I would add this catalog to the kstars_debian branch.

  I use Debian and I really appreciate you are willing to create a "free"
NGC/IC catalog. That certainly could go to the kstars_debian branch.
However it is a pitty that you have to devote so much time to fix these legal
issues. I understand that all stuff related to free licenses is really
important, and I realise that it will be even more important in the future,
taking into account what is happening with SCO. One has to be very careful on
what is added in free software, but it is certainly a pity that part of the
effort diverts from development and goes to this area.

 For Debian, there is another possibility to avoid violating the "non-free"
licensing. The Debian KStars package could be preloaded with the free NGC/IC
catalog you will compile, but could provide a method to download the
Steinicke's catalog  while installing the package and after informing the
user on the restrictions of its usage. If the user accepts to download it, a
script would download it using an Internet connection. In case the format of
the catalog has to be customized to be used by KStars, we should provide a
script to make this customization.

  Indeed the possibility of adding third party catalogs could be implemented
in KStars, so that they can be installed in per user basis. I have had a
quick look at http://www.ngcic.com/steinicke/default.htm and Steinicke's
catalog seems to be a very serious effort. If there are more catalogs of this
kind, KStars could use them by using this policy of "each user downloads the
catalog on installation". It is not the best way, but it is probably good
enough.

> + Let's say after I finish my "Free" catalog, I notice that I have been
> able to obtain magnitudes for only half of the objects.  Would it be "fair
> use" of Steinicke's catalog to insert the magnitudes of the remaining half
> from his catalog?  I suppose this is a grey area, so I am inclined not to
> push it, but I wanted to bring it up for discussion.

  Yes it is a thorny issue. I would come up with this again when the situation
appears if it appears, and not before.

> regards,
> Jason

regards,