[Kstars-devel] NGC/IC catalog

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Wed Sep 3 08:41:48 CEST 2003

>   I use Debian and I really appreciate you are willing to create a
> "free" NGC/IC catalog. That certainly could go to the kstars_debian
> branch. However it is a pitty that you have to devote so much time to
> fix these legal issues. I understand that all stuff related to free
> licenses is really important, and I realise that it will be even more
> important in the future, taking into account what is happening with
> SCO. One has to be very careful on what is added in free software,
> but it is certainly a pity that part of the effort diverts from
> development and goes to this area.

Yes, it is too bad.  I am committed to Free Software, so I don't mind so
much.  The real shame is that there is so little astronomical
information available under a truly Free license.  It is almost all
"free for non-commercial use".

Regarding downloadable catalogs, one idea is the "KStars Setup Wizard"
that we have talked about.  In addition to setting the user's location
and major preferences, it could present some information to the first-
time user on extra catalogs that might be available.

regards,
KStars: A KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars