[Kstars-devel] Linux Journal and Telescope Control

Jason Harris jharris at as.arizona.edu
Wed Dec 17 18:08:40 CET 2003

Hmm, interesting.  Did they mention KStars or INDI at all?  Seems like quite
an ommission if they didn't.  Although maybe since there's no "official"
release with these features, they don't consider it available.  Still, they
should have at least mentioned that a GPL'd alternative exists...

Jason

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 11:04 pm, Jasem Mutlaq wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The cover issue for the Linux Journal Magazine for the Jan 04 issue is
> "Astronomy and Telescope Control" and it basically covers Talon/Xephem.
> Talon _was_ a commercial package developed by Elwood for telescope control
> and more and now the whole package is GPLed.
>
> Talon though is tailored to motion controllers designed by Optical
> Mechanics and Oregen Microsystems, none of which used in the popular
> amateur astronomy telescopes I believe.
>
> I will try to take a look at the Talon code later on to see if I can add
> support to the Optical Mechanics controllers in INDI. Maybe other parts of
> Talon are useful as well.
>
> Clear skies,
> Jasem

    Dr. Jason Harris