[Kst] 2 small issues

Barth Netterfield barth.netterfield at utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 25 00:24:36 UTC 2013

@Barth:
> where is the best place to add a call to _viewVectorDialog->update()?
There
> is one in MainWindow::updateViewItems but apparently it's not enough.
> Before adding calls all over the place I'd like to know where to put it!

The vector selector combos do it by checking the list whenever the object
gains focus or resized.  I have done this to the vector view dialog as well.

The problem with doing it every time a vector is added to the store (my
original idea) is that you end up with some n^2 badness when you add n
vectors. (say from the data wizard).

The problem with doing it whenever the object gains focus is that it
doesn't change until it gains focus, which, while not harmful from a work-
flow perspective, looks kind of unprofessional.  This isn't an issue for the
vector selector combos because the items are added to the bottom of the
list, which isn't visible unless it is selected.

Let's go with my current solution for now, and we can revisit it if it is too
annoying.

> The second issue is that I wanted to read only every 4th sample from a
> vector coming from an ASCII file starting at different values. If I had a
> vector containing line numbers I'd  want something like that: 1 2 3 4
> 5 6 7 8
> 9 10 11 12
> I tried to use both the datawizard and the create->vector menu, setting
the
> start field to 0, 1, 2 and 3 and using "Read one sample per 4 frames" but
> apparently it does not work as expected. I guess I still don't understand
> this frame stuff so before making changes in the code I thought I'd
rather
> ask! Is this currently possible? If not, where should we change things? I'd
> be tempted to start with DataWizard::finished() around line 900 and
> VectorDialog::createNewDataVector() but guidance would be
appreciated!

When doing skip view, the starting frame is always an integer multiple of
/skip, /so that weird jumping doesn't happen in real time mode - in
particular in count from end mode.

We could revisit this question for cases when the starting frame is
specifically defined.  I can easily make this change once I decide it will be
otherwise innocuous :-)

--
Barth Netterfield
University of Toronto