[Kst] Displaying a huge number of points

Nicolas Brisset nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Wed Mar 6 22:57:39 UTC 2013

> Using kst with the patch I noticed that it gets lazy when one passes
> the mouse over the chart with X-only or Y-only zoom mode.This do not
> happen over the menu, etc. I'm using it with up to 1.4 million points.
I'm not sure the issue is in your path. I have also observed useless redraws
when hovering the mouse over the plots, which are particularly noticeable
when you have large number of points. I have already had a few million per curve.
Could you try without your patch to see whether it is really the cause of the
problem?

> Also I had to disable OpenGL on the Settings, because then it became
> unusably slow. This happens even with 100 K points. That is not an
> issue though, because my linux-box is a new 2-graphic card Optimus
> technology and I have bumblebee installed with nouveau driver, not with NVIDIA
> driver, and I do not know what to expect on this case.
I don't think the problem is linked with your graphics card or drivers. OpenGL just
does not work well at the moment, something we'd have to look at because it's supposed
to more or less come for free in Qt. But you're not the only one having issues.
For now, it is much safer and faster to stay with OpenGL disabled.

> Now I'm having trouble to 'make install'. I was testing kst on the
> cmake build tree. I only managed to succeed installing on /opt/kst, not on
> /usr/local nor on /usr. Apparently it starts testing all the binaries
> on the target to fix them and it eventually fails. I succeeded installing on
> /usr/local once I took off everything out of /usr/local/bin. This is
> probably no big deal because I'm a complete newbie on this area. If
> someone has a clue I'll appreciate.
How do you compile and install? The recommended way is using cmake and QtCreator.
You can set the install path as one option of cmake (see help messages).
It can happen that you get issues with python scripting if you activate it, but
other than that it should work.

Hope my answers help,