[Kst] log submission capability

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 21 21:00:56 CEST 2010

Hi,

For our upcoming antarctic balloon campaign, we will be using kst2.  For
this, we need to be able to easily submit plots to a log server.  In the
past, we have used "elog", and plan to for this campaign, though there may
be better solutions long term.

kst1.x achieved this using a dedicated 'extension' which, in enabled at run
time:
-added a configuration dialog to set things like the server, user name,
password, etc.
-added a button to the tool bar which called up the elog submission dialog
-added the elog submission dialog which allowed the user to enter a text
note, and decide whether to upload pngs of the plots, the .kst files, or
both.  Apply would send the message, along with the pngs and kst files as
attachments.

This worked fine, but meant elog specific code which, while not run-time
enabled, did add to the overall 'cruft' of the project. Most people don't
use elog, and we won't forever.

I am considering an alternative.
  -> no configuration dialog
  -> don't save the kst file.  I've never seen it useful.
  -> by default, kst2 will store the text note and the kst file in
  -> in addition, kst2 will run an optionally provided script/command line
command once the files have been saved to <logdir>

The log dialog will have
  -A filename entry to specify <logdir> (sticky)
  -A text box entry to enter the comment
  -A text line entry to enter the script to be run once the files have been
saved to <logdir> (sticky)

In the text line entry for the script, the following variables will be
defined:
  -$PLOT: where the png of the plot has been saved (ie,
/<logdir>/<ctime>.png)
  -$MESSAGE: where the message has been saved(ie, /<logdir>/<ctime>.txt)

So, for elog, you might enter:
/usr/bin/elog -h blastelogserver.info -u netterfield weakpasswd -f $PLOT -m
$MESSAGE

Since it is sticky, the user would only have to enter it once.  If different
users need to upload entries to some
other place, like a wiki, they could write their own shell script to do it,
and use the same interface.

-does this seem like a good approach?