[Kst] Re: log submission capability

Matthew D Truch matt at truch.net
Thu Oct 21 21:51:42 CEST 2010

> I am considering an alternative.
>   -> no configuration dialog
>   -> don't save the kst file.  I've never seen it useful.
>   -> by default, kst2 will store the text note and the kst file in
>   -> in addition, kst2 will run an optionally provided script/command line
> command once the files have been saved to <logdir>
>
> The log dialog will have
>   -A filename entry to specify <logdir> (sticky)
>   -A text box entry to enter the comment
>   -A text line entry to enter the script to be run once the files have been
> saved to <logdir> (sticky)
>
> In the text line entry for the script, the following variables will be
> defined:
>   -$PLOT: where the png of the plot has been saved (ie,
> /<logdir>/<ctime>.png)
>   -$MESSAGE: where the message has been saved(ie, /<logdir>/<ctime>.txt)
>
> So, for elog, you might enter:
> /usr/bin/elog -h blastelogserver.info -u netterfield weakpasswd -f $PLOT -m
> $MESSAGE
>
> Since it is sticky, the user would only have to enter it once.  If different
> users need to upload entries to some
> other place, like a wiki, they could write their own shell script to do it,
> and use the same interface.
>
> -does this seem like a good approach?

I like it.  It's simple, and I can see how it could be useful for people
outside of BLAST.

I think the dialog also needs to set the size of the png (sticky).

The command should be run in the background, so if it runs slow (think
slow network), kst is still usable by the person.

--
"Ice Cream has no bones."
matt at truch.net
http://matt.truch.net/