[Kst] kst2 problems...

Barth Netterfield netterfield at physics.utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 27 17:22:04 CEST 2007

the ascii data source actually is used to load a variety of different file
types.  It can read white space delimited columns, csvs, fixed with columns,
etc.  And it might be taking field names from the file.  There may be
different standards for comment delimieters.... And it may be that in a given
session, you have read in some of each.

SO:
-we need to be able to have a different (sticky) setting for each specific
file
-we need to be able to have a (sticky) set of rules for knowing that .csv
files are comma separated files, etc.
-we need to be able to set a (sticky) default for all files it can't figure
out some other way.

BUT:
someone might send me a .kst file and a tmp.dat file (in some format that I
don't typically use)....  Loading the kst file should work.  So the sticky
settings need to be able to be overriden by non-sticky settings in the kst
file.

Now... how you store all this information is another question.  Maybe just one
ascii config place where all of the stuff is stored is the easiest.

Time to re-visit the Data Source doc I think.

cbn